As a small business owner, the COVID-19 outbreak is a scary thing. I’m constantly thinking about my business and when we will be back on our feet again. It’s not like I lean on my employer for assistance, I just have myself. It’s hard to not think negative things during these hard times, but don’t fret, there is still plenty of work to do to maintain AND grow your business while in quarantine. Here are a few things small business owners need to be doing during quarantine to make sure their business is thriving once this is over!
Now is a great time to go over and update things in your business! Ask yourself what needs some tending too that you have been letting slide for the past few weeks…or if we are being honest…months.
A few things you could be checking up on:
- Are all your plug-ins updated?
- Have you recently checked the analytics of your website and viewed what pages are more popular?
- Is everything on your website up-to-date?
- Images, Blog Posts, Upcoming Events, Online Shop, FAQs page, About Me/Start Here page, etc..
Go through your website and try to declutter! And while you are in the decluttering spirit, how about you do the same for your desk. When was the last time you sorted through your pile of papers in the corner that just keeps piling up? Well it’s time to get those filed away or recycled and create a clean-and-clear environment for you to work in.
Completing the Never-Ending To-Do List
We all have it! We either have been meaning to reach out to particular business contact, finish a book, or even do some yard work! Whatever it is, it’s time to get it done and off your list! Yes, work is important. However, when you have this never-ending to-do list, it’s sitting their staring at you tapping your shoulder every few minutes saying, “Hey! You! Yes you! When are you going to give me some attention and get these things done?” And we always reply “Soon! I’ll get to you tomorrow!”
The never-ending to-do list is a MAJOR distraction!
NO MORE you shall say! This quarantine may not be fun, and is very challenging for most. However, while we have all this extra time on our hands, you might as well make the most of it. By getting things crossed off your to-do list will only allow for more room for positive opportunities to arise.
Tasks that you may have been MEANING to get done:
- Uploading/Printing/Deleting the 8,000 photos off your phone
- Finally getting around to saving all those phone numbers with no contact name
- Raking the leaves up in the yard and planting new beautiful plants
- Getting back into shape and going for a run
- Write an updated business plan
- Send emails to potential business partners
- Network with others online (Use Zoom, Skype, FaceTime, Google Hangouts, Duo, or WhatsApp to have an online meeting with them!)
Get Creative and Grow
We now have discussed how to get caught up with your business so you are back on track, but now what? Well it’s time to start creating a game plan on how you are going to make this business not only grow, but thrive after quarantine!
What are some areas in your business that you know needs improvement?
- Could you be raising your rates?
- Creating new, effective, and engaging content for you social media pages
- Creating a new email signature
- Enhancing your marketing material
- Updating business processes to make things more efficient
- Getting your clients / customers to write a company review to help attract new potential clients
- Could you even be taking this time to help improve your skill so you are able to offer more value to your clients?
- How about catching up on writing blog posts or preparing newsletters for potential or current clients?
- You can even start making online videos / courses that your clients can start doing now while their in quarantine themselves
This is the time to get creative and brain dump all your ideas out onto paper. For now, all we have is time. Might as well take advantage of it and see the plus side by continuing to work hard on your business, and making it grow!
What are some things you have been doing, while in quarantine, to help your business grow? Help others by sharing with us in the comment section below!