So many people come up to me and tell me that they wish they can get into reading, but don’t exactly know how or when to make time for it. Which coming from me and many other bookstagrammers, YOU ARE MISSING OUT and it is WAY easier than you think.
When it comes to creating a habit of reading, it just takes some time and effort. In this post I will go over HOW you can create a habit reading the books you have been desperately wanting to pick and enjoy. Along with HOW to fit this new habit into your schedule.
Disclaimer: This blog may include affiliate links, and any purchases made through such links may result in a commission or credit to Curly ‘N Loud at no extra cost to you. All thoughts, opinions, experience, and advice is my own.
Creating the Habit & Making Time
To create a reading habit and to set time for it, I have reduced it down to 4 easy steps. Quick & easy so you can get started!
- You need to find a book genre that you LOVE. Yes I do mean love, because if you do not LOVE the genre then getting into reading will be very difficult and boring. If you force yourself to read a book that you do not like and are not clicking with, this will drag out and make your reading experience dreadful.
Pro Tip: The book nerds term is DNF, did not finish. We use this term when we absolutely can not finish or continue reading a book.
**It’s okay to pick up different books from different genres until one clicks with you. I promise you are not hurting the books feelings. **
BUT to make sure you are not hurting your wallets feelings, I do recommend doing one or all of these before purchasing the book…
- Checking out free books from the library
- Skimming the first few pages at the bookstore before purchase
- Seeing if their are any excerpts on Amazon or Goodreads of the book you are interested in
We don’t need to add on an “obligation” or any “pressure” to read the book because you spent money on it.
- Find time. Once you find the book in the genre that you love, it is time to look at your calendar and set a time to read this book.
Simple as that.
Keep in mind that once you set the time aside to read, you need to stick to it! That is the whole point of forming a habit, sticking to it.
- Don’t overdo it. As easy and tempting as it may be, don’t put too much pressure on yourself when it comes to the amount you read and the time you are reading.
You may see your friends or people you follow on social media and how they are able to read numerous of books per month, heck even per week! But monitor and acknowledge your comparing session and get back to your own sh*t. If you want to read one book a week, then set a goal to read one book a week. UNTIL THEN, just focus on your ONE book that you have and then we can talk about reading more once you are done.
Don’t be overly dramatic and unrealistic and set a goal for reading for an hour each night.
Do not overdo it. We need this habit to stick and be something you can be consistent with.
- Set a goal and ask yourself…How many pages or chapters do you REALISTICALLY want to read each day or week? Remember, we are trying to form a habit that fits your schedule. So if you are somebody that is busy and has a super packed schedule, I do not recommend you starting off with reading 5 chapters every.single.day.
I recommend you to read one chapter per day or 25 pages per day.
When it comes to creating a habit that fits your schedule, remember to not overdo it, stick to it, and just take it easy. Enjoy what you are reading! Once you finish this book, pick up the next book off your TBR (to be read) list and set a deadline when you’d like to have it done. The more you read, the faster you will be able to read all those books you’ve been just meaning to get to!
PLUS since you are reading books that you enjoy, you will find yourself wanting to keep reading! The book you read will be so great that you will wish it never ended, so then you’ll find another book and another one and another. Then you are on your way to becoming the avid reader that you have desired to be.
Just take it easy and go at the pace that works best for you! There is a wonderful world in books and they are waiting for you to explore them.
And that’s the tea… Happy reading!
– xoxo, KLHR –
Featured Image by Burst from Pexels
Toddler Image by Daria Shevtsova